As Mother’s day is approaching and with so many choices out there to show her how much we care, hope the following ideas can make it easier for all:
- Prepare a nourishing meals for her: Nothing says I love you more than cooking for your mom. Keep in mind that you don’t have to prepare a complicated dish but do make it colorful and balanced. Quick and healthy choices can include: grilled lean meats, roasted seasonal vegetables like asparagus, broccoli or corn, quinoa and sweet potatoes.
- Enjoy nature: A family day picnic is a relaxing way to spend time with your mom. Prepare some easy but nutritious dishes such as salad, sandwich, cheese and vegetable platters, fresh lemonade or infused water. Don’t forget to add some nutrients with seasonal fruit as dessert.
- All about the simple things: How about taking mom on a relaxing walk through the park, a calming stroll on the beach, or consider picking strawberries or tomatoes from a local farmer’s market. Spending the time together is what really counts.
- Explore the city: Take advantage of the terrific weather during May and visit a botanical garden or zoo. These are all great activities that will boost your relationship and connect you with the simple pleasures life has to offer.
- Get moving: Walking, bicycling, kayaking, canoeing or swimming other fun and exciting ways to celebrate her special day. Keep in mind that most health agencies recommend to get those 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise.
- Small gestures go a long way: Breakfast in bed is my favorite way to let my loved ones know that I care and appreciate them. The first meal of the day does not have to be complicated. Prepare some oatmeal, add cinnamon, nonfat or low fat milk, almonds and raspberries, mango or papaya and enjoy a colorful breakfast chuck full of nutrients.
- Quality time with mom is what matters: A day at the spa is a great way to pamper your mom; who does not want to relax, unwind and disconnect from life’s pressures. And if you are on a budget, you can offer to give her a pedicure, manicure and a massage. Put on some relaxing music and show her love. Treat the mother in your life as the queen she really is.
- Give her the gift of mindfulness: Attending a yoga, meditation or yoga class with her is one loving and caring way to celebrate this Mother’s day is. Also there are some good meditation apps (Headspace.com and insightful timer) to start the path of self-care. In today’s busy world, a little mindfulness can help bring calm into one’s life.